Thursday, August 9, 2012

Inspired

I hope someday historians will look back and say this was the year inspiration found me. Occupy has been incredibly inspiring. Directly helping total strangers in a meaningful way is a rare event, and I can now say I've done that. I've ironically played monopoly with the homeless, and helped keep a family from being homeless on Christmas. These are incredibly small, but rewarding things. Alfred Marshall, a former scientist turned economist has set an example, leaving a highly regarded profession and career in favor of economics, because he wanted to HELP people.

But this week, it's been all about one thing. The 2012 London Olympics. I just watched Dominic Rudisha break the world record in the 800m. He has only a dirt track to train on, and though he is a world class athlete, he chooses to live in humble housing at St. Patricks Catholic school in Kenya. A few nights ago I saw Korani James win the 400m, representing his small country of Grenada with great humility and sportsmanship. He is incredibly young, but represented his country with incredible humility and sportsmanship. Easily the best part of these olympic games are the background stories of some of these athletes.

But what I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of is what it takes to be the greatest. I wrote earlier about the discipline required to be a professional, but there are a lot of professionals out there, what does it take to be the BEST? I've heard for years to do the simple things well, and not to fear failure, and to do the simple things well, but this year, I am finally hearing them and feeling inspired. I grew up watching Michael Jordan, and I know I saw Michael Jordan to the Max in theaters, but I think I only really heard it for the first time, watching it a couple nights ago. I feel like it's finally clicking for me, but I see these teenage olympic gymnasts becoming the best in the world at half my age, and have to wonder how they figured out the key to success so young. I think that while a special few people have the will to be the best on their own expectations, having others counting on you and pushing you is a huge factor. Mom driving you to every practice and meet, every weekend and after work, preparing meals, paying huge bills, etc. raises some very real expectations, and I have to imagine that's a factor in success if it doesn't drive you nuts first.

Mentors -- what role do mentors play. The 1500m swimmer from China rose to new heights only after finding his mentor in Australia. When you see two runners under the same coach running the 1500m in the olympics, you have to know that coaching is a huge factor.

Discipline and sacrifice -- of COURSE! What are all the things these athletes have given up? Desserts? TV? Relationships? I'm sure they've lost sleep, suffered intense physical pain, and felt like giving up a number of times. But I have to believe they enjoy it. Enjoy the success, the improvement, and of course the sport they play... if you can call it "play." The 3 time Olympic gold medalist, women's volleyball team retired after 2 medals, but came back for another. Michael Jordan retired after his first 3-peat and his father's death, but came back to win another 3 in a row, then after retiring came back to play for the Wizards. There's much more than suffering and pride that drives these players.

I try not to make a habit of writing about things I know nothing about, and being the best is not something I know, but this is an investigation into what it's going to take for me to be the economist or engineer I want to be. So here's a first stab at a recipe to success:
  1. Strength of character -- humility, discipline, determination, patience, grace, etc.
  2. Fearlessness -- this could fall in with the above list, but I think deserves its own, because it includes not fearing failure, and just as importantly, not fearing success
  3. Coaching -- Life is too short to learn these things on your own. You NEED to stand on the shoulders of giants if you want to compete with other giants.
  4. Love what you are doing -- if you're not passionate about, and enjoy what you're trying to achieve, you will not be the best at it. Period.
  5. Sacrifice -- Life is too short to be the best without giving up some of the extraneous details along the way
  6. Expectations -- It's debatable whether this is a necessity, but I do think it is invaluable. I think it is easier to succeed when you're on a team pushing each other to succeed. It is easier to be the best when everyone expects you to be the best. It's easier to continue on when that is the expectation. If you make all the afore mentioned points the expectation, then I think you have a good chance of being great, and a small glimmering chance at being the best. Also, falling under the category of expectations, I would put schedules and goals. Don't just workout, have a workout regiment, don't just have a reading list, have a reading schedule, etc.
That's all for now, I'm sure this will be updated in the future as more pieces of the puzzle come into view.

No comments:

Post a Comment